Why do we have to do homework? Is Homework Helpful?
Homework is an extension of classroom learning, and hence, it should be to help students learn effectively and become better. However, most students ask, “why do we have to do homework? Is it helpful? These questions will be discussed below, follow me through to the end.
What is Homework?
Homework is a connection between school and home. They are tasks assigned to students by teachers to foster learning and help them to reinforce and improve on what was learned in the classroom.
Is Homework Helpful?
Homework helps to strengthen students’ knowledge and skills, e.g., critical thinking, multitasking, time management, etc. – they can apply these skills on tasks given. Therefore, they get better at what they do. Homework also helps parents to know what their children are taught in school and encourages them to render due help to them.
Listed below are the 7P’s of homework’s purposes
- Parent-teacher relationship
- Personal development
- Parent-child relationship
- Public relations
Why do we have to do homework?
This is the question most students often ask because they don’t find homework fun to do. The reason why you have to do homework is that it helps you to independently use resources such as textbooks, journals, documents, websites, and libraries. When studying alone, you will make mistakes and learn from the mistakes made. Also, you will be able to see beyond class and think outside the box.
However, here are some other reasons why you should do your homework:
- Homework teaches you responsibility and transparency when learning different subjects.
- If you don’t do assignments, you are likely not to have good grades.
- It allows your parents, friends, and classmates to be involved in your learning activities.
- Homework helps you to manage your time and prioritize multiple tasks effectively.
- Due to deadlines set for assignments submission, students learn not to procrastinate – they learn to do the right thing at the right time.
- It helps students to build self-esteem and recognize current problems before they become uncontrollable.
Why Do Teachers Assign Homework?
Teachers assign homework to help students to:
- Acquire skills and habitually learn time management, problem-solving, and self-discipline.
- Gain a good sense of personal practice and development.
- Learn how to use the library and other available resources.
- Top reasons Why Homework is Important?
- Homework Improves students’ thoughts and memory.
- It helps children to develop excellent study skills and behaviors that will be of help to them in the future.
- It also helps students to learn practical time management skill
- It encourages students to work independently.
- It reinforces what students learn in class.
- It allows students to explore topics more thoroughly than classroom time permits.
- It allows parental involvement.
Finally, homework encourages review and revision. Therefore, students who actively do their homework are indirectly prepared for tests and examinations and hence, have better grades compared to those who don’t.